Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cool Temperatures for the 4th

Monday was filled with several storms that rolled through Kentucky, including several hail producing storms as well. Simpson and Green counties saw large hail a little after noon Monday along with strong winds that covered the state. The Mesonet site for Warren County at the WKU farm measured 1.72" of rain for the day. Monday morning started off with several Flash Flood Warnings for much of Warren County. Around 7 A.M. there were minor reports of flooding including water blocking Russellville Rd. as it passes under the railroad track before entering campus.

This week will continue the same pattern that began in the later parts of last week. A high pressure system has set up off the east coast blocking a low pressure system that is centered over the Tennessee Valley. This will remain in place for the next few days causing a stationary front to form and drape across the Southeast United States. This was explained in the last post, but it is still happening right now. A high pressure system is also called a ridge where a low pressure system is called a trough. Underneath the ridge hot dry air fills in from Mexico creating much higher than normal temperatures for the Nevada and Utah region. The trough however is dipping down below Bowling Green, KY and down into Tennessee for the next few days allowing the cooler air from the north to flow into Southern Kentucky. These temperatures are unseasonable for this area in the end of June and the beginning of July.

As this trough tries to move through our area, several isolated storms will be created in the afternoons for the next few days. Some of that was seen yesterday as the storms increased around 4 P.M. The same pattern will appear today with a 40% chance for rain around 9am. As the day progresses so do the chances for a few isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon continuing into the night. The high tomorrow will top out at a mild 82. The same is expected for Wednesday and Thursday as well with rain in the afternoons and mild high temperature. It is going to be a wet week, but get out and enjoy the cooler weather if at all possible, because it will not last forever.  

Daily Forecasts:
Tuesday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Calm winds becoming southwest 5 to 7 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tuesday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, maily after 1 pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the morning.

Wednesday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudly, with a low around 66. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Independence day! A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostlly cloudy, with a high near 82. Showers and thunderstorms likely to continue that night. Mostly cloudy, low around 68. Chance of precipitation in 60%.

Friday:  Showers and thunderstorms likerly. Cloudy, with a high near 80. Chance of precipitaion is 60%.

Forecaster: John Logan Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.