Thursday, October 4, 2012

Strong Cold Front Moving Through: Rain & Cold Temperatures!

A strong cold front has provided cold enough temperatures to bring the first snow of the season to areas from North Dakota to Minnesota this morning (Thursday). While snow will not be making an early arrival to Kentucky, that very strong cold front will come through the state Friday evening that will lead to much cooler temperatures by Saturday.  After rain early in the week, yesterday was a nice fall day as will be today but it is tomorrow when the affects of the front will begin to impact the area.  Though tomorrow should start out a nice day with temperatures rising to near 80 clouds will be moving in during the afternoon and especially into the evening as the front approaches.  Models agree that the front should come through south-central Kentucky between 6 and 10 pm bringing with it 8-10 mph winds out of the north which will bring in much cooler temperatures.  Below is a video of the NAM model forecast temperatures/winds/pressure from 1 pm Friday though 6 am Saturday.  Notice the much colder temperatures moving in behind the front.

video

Some light rain will also likely make it's way in behind the front late Friday night into Saturday morning. Rainfall should remain fairly light but some the area could pick up about a quarter of an inch.  Don't expect things to clear out Saturday however as an upper-level disturbance will make its way across the central US which will provide enough lift to create showers from Saturday evening into Sunday morning.  Also with the cold air mass firmly in place along with cloudy skies, highs likely won't climb out of the 50s Saturday. Rainfall  Saturday night should once again only total between a 0.05 to a 0.20.

The Hydrometeorological Prediction Center's rainfall forecast through Sunday morning indicates between 0.25 and 0.5 inches of rainfall totaled from both rounds of rain in south-central Kentucky.
High pressure will work its way in on Sunday pushing out any rain and most of the clouds making for a much nicer day despite cool temperatures.  Temperatures Sunday will start out in the low 40s and will only warm to highs in the mid 50s, talk about a fall like day.  Looking toward Monday morning, south central Kentucky will likely see the coldest start to the day in months as temperatures could dip into the low to mid 30s.

Daily Forecasts:

Today: Mostly sunny skies with a high near 80 with southwest winds from 5-10 mph.

Friday: Low near 55 in the morning and a high around 82.  Skies will be mostly sunny early but clouds will increase throughout the day.  West-southwest winds from 6-12 mph.  The cold front should push through sometime after 5 p.m. bringing cool north winds from 8-10 mph.  70% chance of showers after 6 pm into the overnight.

Saturday: Cloudy skies with a 40% chance of showers lingering in the morning.  Low near 47 with a high only in the upper 50s near 58.  60% chance of showers after 6 pm and into the overnight.  Northerly winds from 5-10 mph.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy skies early with a low around 42 will give way to a partly sunny day with a high only around 55.

Forecaster: Ryan Difani

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.